257 Mitcham Road, Mitcham 3132
(03) 9874 2132

About Dr. Stanley Cochrane

Our Kindergarten

Dr Stanley Cochrane Memorial Kindergarten is situated within the leafy suburb of Mitcham. With an architecturally designed, purpose built building set amongst a natural landscape of gumtrees. We offer a generous size play area taking advantage of the natural environment and incorporating a variety of play equipment and structures to facilitate free play for the children. 

In a stress-free, happy, caring and safe environment, children are provided, via a carefully planned program, with opportunities to:

The Educational Programme

Our kindergarten respects, values and is informed by the Victorian Early Years Development Framework. This framework helps to shape the educational programme offered to your children. When planning and implementing it, our objective is to work towards achieving each of the five “Early Years Learning and Development Outcomes” which are represented in the Framework.
These outcomes guide how we help children to:

History

In August 1948 the Mitcham Free Kindergarten Auxiliary was formed with a view to establishing a kindergarten in Mitcham. Over the next seven years much work was done in locating the site and fundraising to establish the kinder. The building sub-committee was formed in August 1955. The building was designed free of charge by architect R (Bob) J Rolfe and constructed by M E McQuade. It is proudly noted by Mrs Jess Brown (formerly Rayson), a longstanding and current Mitcham resident and inaugural Kinder Secretary, that the kinder opened debt free.

The Dr Stanley Cochrane Memorial Free Kindergarten commenced on 13 February 1957 with 50 children (30 in the morning and 20 in the afternoon). Mrs Pritchard was Directress. Dr Barbara Meredith BA MB BS, Director of Maternal, Infant and Pre-School Welfare, with the Department of Health, officially opened the kinder on Saturday 11 October 1958.

Dr Stanley Cochrane, for whom the kinder is memorialised, was one of Mitcham’s first family doctors. Dr Cochrane and his wife, a nursing sister, bought a big home from Dr Francis John Drake, on the corner of McDowall and Harrison Streets (now the site of the Mitcham RSL), and turned it into a private hospital. The property at 331 - 335 Mitcham Road was also owned by Dr Cochrane on which he built a home, incorporating a surgery, in about 1929. The property remained a medical practice for many years. Dr Cochrane and his wife had no children of their own, but he is remembered as a wonderful doctor who often cycled to visit his patient’s in their homes. He also worked tirelessly for returned soldiers in many capacities. He died in 1950.